Journal of an Artist Residency / Miles to date 4,171/ Primary Carbon Footprint to date 1,139 kg = 1.139 tonnes

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sixth day - last research day!

March 28th

Miles = 158
Carbon Footprint = 45kg
Expenses = 10 euro food


I had made an arrangement to meet the current owner/manager of the Irish Aluminium Co. in Nenagh, which is in liquidation; it should be completely closed in a couple of weeks.


Seamus Meagher is a very genial man; full of stories and anecdotes about the factory. His own father was one of the first employees, sent to Wolverhampton to train in 1934.


I spent some time filming in the factory; it's in the process of being dismantled so there is an eerie stillness amid all the huge machines.

To my great interest, there is still a very vibrant sign-factory in the rear of the building. They have the contract to make all of the goverment road-signs; some of these are cast in aluminium. A foundry is still in operation with a sand-casting area and ingots of aluminium stacked in the middle of the floor. Made contact with the manager of the company - had always envisaged doing something with signs, so it's a very fortuitous meeting.

Arranged with film-maker Fiona O' Dwyer to spend a day there in two weeks doing some 'proper' filming with good camera work and hopefully some on-film interviews.

Next stop Civic Offices, where you get a great cheap lunch, some conversation with Martina Finn about various things.


Having spent most of Tuesday night lying awake I had a real urge to go up to Silvermines and talk to people [have a really good idea forming for an engaged community project]. Met with Eamonn de Staford and his wife Maire - a retired couple with a wonderful cache of stories to tell. Eamonn worked for Shannon Development and was involved in the development of a proposal for a Mining Heritage Museum in the early 90's; all was agreed, the money was in place and then it was discovered that the holding ponds from the most recent bout of mining had dried out and were blowing toxic dust all over the area. All plans were halted.









Eamonn has a wonderful perspective on the place and he was really interested in my idea. He suggested I contact the principal of the National School.

After that I drove up to Neddy's cottage in Dromineer - three rooms, there seems to be electricity although I had no way of testing the sockets or storage heater to see if they worked, but no water. Such a particular space. I would love to do something there, but I don't know it I can manage it within this residency. No point in trying to do too much and doing nothing well.

I drove north to Portumna - it's such a different place up around there. Flat, lots of trees, Protestant heritage.

I really like Tipperary. It's very richly ordinary, if that's not too contradictory.
I missed the last talk in Source due to family bereavment. I would have liked to see Aileen Lambert and Michael Fortune talk about their work.


That concludes my first six weeks; I gave myself that much time to drift around without commitment. Now I have to start focusing in on a few ideas, which is hard. I have a lot that I would like to do.

1 comment:

Brian Byrne said...

Hi I wonder if you have any footage of Seamus Meagher in Nenagh as you may be interested to learn he passed away 16 months ago. he was a great friend to so many of us and his family would be thrilled if there was some video we could get of the meeting you had with him. Let me know if you can help. Thanks.
Brian Byrne. (Email: bmbyrne101@gmail.com)