Journal of an Artist Residency / Miles to date 4,171/ Primary Carbon Footprint to date 1,139 kg = 1.139 tonnes

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Public Meeting #1

April 25th

Miles 171
Carbon Footprint 48kg
Expenses 16 euro on food

It turns out that the planning process is an 8 week process, not 6 as I had been told last week. I went to see Tom Barry, the Director of Services, who will try to call a special Council meeting as soon after June 20th [new closing date] as possible.

The planning process will now take longer than the time that the Space Shuttle will be in position!

So, it's all part of engaging with public space in a rural context and of being an interface between the world and the Insitutions that control it.

I worked some more on the National School programme, then dropped the final version of the Planning documents to the sites where they can be publicly inspected (Silvermines National School and the Area Office, Newport). This was my first trip to Newport; another little gem of a place. Very real and interesting; a combination of Tidy Towns and ramshackle-ness.

I drove the scenic route back to Silvermines - wow! The road was so steep that I didn't dare to stop and take photos! Three young deer jumped across the road at the top, it gave me a shiver down my spine.

I met with Pat Keane in his house in Silvermines, a very nice man with a lovely dog and a house full of photographs. I hope to go back and talk to him some more.




















In the evening I set up the Public Meeting in the local hall, which is a wonderful building from 1951 - huge! And it has a large stage with functioning curtains and wonderful dusty, musty old wooden floors. I set the meeting up in a small backroom.


There were 9 people in attendence; that was a very good turnout for a small village and there is great enthusiasm for the 'museum' idea.

I stressed, but will need to keep stressing, that my project is not a real museum; its Museum as Metaphor. The idea for that project is evolving and can be seen on the Silvermines section of the website.

I got some great leads on my Stuffed Animals!!!!

No comments: