Journal of an Artist Residency / Miles to date 4,171/ Primary Carbon Footprint to date 1,139 kg = 1.139 tonnes

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

making maps


Miles 155
Carbon footprint 44kg
expenses food 10

I arrived in Nenagh at 9am and went in search of the manager of the Machinery Yard. I was trying to get a handle on how I could move the Space Shuttle to Silvermines; they have no truck with a crane arm, which means paying for one again, groan.

Trying to make contact with the man who promised me alternative energy sources; I think he is really some kind of international spy and this is all just a cover, as he never, ever answers his phone, or texts or e-mails.

I had coffee in Civic Offices and met Martina and two women working as consultants on something - one of them told me about a man in Cavan who has a private cultural centre, and organises walks of the Smuggler Routes along the border; I want to find out who he is and make contact. She is supposed to send me info.

Second last day of the schools programme; we worked on their A3 trails - most of them are quite modest walking tours, but some great drawings and some great stops. It's very time-consuming scanning them and getting them up on the site.

So, I think the title of the project is now, conclusively, Imagining Silvermines, a psychogeography. I am beginning to think about a publication, also a mural (which they have requested) and a Walking Festival over 4 days maybe towards the end of August., culminating with a community bar-b-q because Eamonn has indicated that some community building might be a good thing.

I got the film for the square format camera so I am off to Dromore Woods this Sunday to photograph some stuffed animals, a sort of practice run. Oh yes, and bought a book from Amazon called Cartographica Extrodinaire, because I saw an Aztec map from it and it gave me an idea for the mural. Cost 65 euro including priority post, but what the hell.

No comments: