Journal of an Artist Residency / Miles to date 4,171/ Primary Carbon Footprint to date 1,139 kg = 1.139 tonnes

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Children and sunshine

Miles 155
Carbon footprint 44kg
expenses food 22.50 Materials 57.50




A beautiful sunny day; arrived in Nenagh at 9.15 and did some photocopying in HQ; then drove over to the machinery yard to have a look at the space shuttle, could not meet with the head of the yard though because he wasn't there. Then I drove to the Town Hall where its possible that I might have use of a room as a studio; the manager was away so I was shown a room that might be available. I'm not sure how or if that will be useful at this stage - it might just dilute my focus a bit, although I could have done with it earlier.

I went on to Silvermines, sat in the meditation garden and recorded bird-song for half an hour or so. Then I went to the school and set up for our guided walk with Eamonn de Stafford. It was great to ramble around town with the children - they add such a vibrancy to what is a very sleepy little village. Everyone smiles to see them out and about. They did some great maps for their homework; impossible to pick out a favourite, so here are some diverse samples;




I arranged to interview Eamonn at 4.30 so did a quick spin into Nenagh for lunch and to pick up the papers. Nenagh guardian carried a piece that I sent them about looking for material for Silvermines.

I did an interview of an hour or so with Eamonn then chatted with Maire about their 'foreign dolls' collection which I love. Their whole house is full of collections of one kind or another.

I really have to pin down my work for the next few weeks. Luckily Sean Hogan rang me - he was formerly the president of the students union at Tipp Institute and seems to have excellent leads on alternative energy options for the space shuttle.

I hope to meet him in Nenagh next wednesday.

No comments: