Journal of an Artist Residency / Miles to date 4,171/ Primary Carbon Footprint to date 1,139 kg = 1.139 tonnes

Friday, June 1, 2007

More stuffed animals

Miles 155
Carbon Footprint 44kg
Expenses Materials 22.70 food 16



I drove into Silvermines in the morning intending to interview Tommy Hickey and Pat Keane; when I got there I discovered that I was missing the mini-disc headphones, which meant that I couldn't check the recording levels. I knocked on Hickey's door anyway, but there was no answer and Pat didn't have his phone switched on. I submitted to fate and sat in my car in the rain, working on my computer and feeling acutely homeless.



From 1 - 3 I had a session in the National School; we worked on some more trails and postcards of the 'sights' of Silvermines. I am going to ask them to make postcards of all the things that should not be presented for tourist consumption as well.



After that I drove into Nenagh to buy a current Ordnance Survey map of North Tipp; as I drove past Starr and Sons I suddenly realised that it's not a shop window but a constantly changing installation. I was kicking myself for not photographing the display that included the Mona Lisa or George Best. Horses now take up the central position, and I bet there is a reason for that, but I don't know what it is.



Starr and Sons, May 30th 2007

Starr and Sons, Feb 21st 2007

I met with Martina Finn, and she asked for an update on the project. I found myself humming and hawing, not really being able to say much about anything and I realised that I am in a kind of limbo with everything.

She brought up the issue of a studio space; in all the time that the residency has been going on she never offered one before, and I never asked for one! But it's the very thing that I am lacking, a place to spread out stuff and consider ideas.

In the evening I went to see the stuffed animal collection of Dick and Betty Gough. They are just the most interesting people, with a wonderful house and garden, jammed with odds and ends and collections of all kinds of things. I spent a lovely hour or so there and shot some record photos of their stuffed animals in preparation for going back with the square format.

Drove home in the evening sunlight and did some work in my sketchbook.

1 comment:

Karen S-D said...

So nice to see "Starr and Sons" !! I was there in 2007 as well but visiting family. That shop belonged to my great Grandfather and his sons, one being my Grandpa. There used to be other "Starr" shops around Nenagh as well. This is the last one and it is owned and operated by my wonderful cousins. Brought a nice smile to my face seeing this. Thank you for sharing it!